Thursday, January 11, 2007

Keystone Kids

Out with The Stroller again. Malli has walked the mile to the mall, and now gets to ride in the front seat of the stroller, while Nigel walks alongside. We create our usual stir. This time we pass through a crowd of seniors which includes a couple of class clowns. "You sure you got them all?" one calls. "One-two-three-four! Yup. All accounted for!" I grin at the gents, and slow the stroller so they can see the tots. Encouraged, one bustles around to the front of the stroller and makes as if to sit. "Five!" he calls. "Careful," I warn. "That one in front? She bites." He makes a big deal of leaping forward, clasping his hands to his bottom. All his buddies on the bench chortle. At almost three, Malli understands slapstick, and shrieks with laughter at the grampa and his look of mock-terror. The babies in behind don't get the joke, but respond to her merriment, and soon the air is filled with toddler shrieks, baby giggles and the husky chortles of old men. Good times. ~~~~~~~~~~~~ © 2006, Mary P

6 Comments:

Blogger Kelli in the Mirror said...

That is so cute! :) And you can walk to the mall too? I definitely am jealous of your neighborhood.

1/11/2007 05:20:00 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

A story about goofy old men so beats chamber music. ; )

1/11/2007 06:39:00 PM  
Blogger mo-wo said...

When my girl was small we had tete a tete with the old guy doubles tennis stars. Old guys and little ones are one of my favorite combos.

1/12/2007 01:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cant you ban this spammer?

Lovely story, seem to be grumpy old men around here, one made an under his breath comment about me being a breeder when I went past with two little ones in the double buggy and two older ones by my side!
Jenny UK

1/12/2007 04:55:00 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

I love it when the elderly group is silly with the kiddies!

1/12/2007 07:00:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Kelli: I live close to downtown. Not right downtown - too expensive! - but close. Which means all sorts of amenities, all close. I can walk downtown on my own in 45 - 60 minutes, depending on which part of downtown I'm after.

Peter: Says you. You're just jealous you were the wrong Peter.

Mo-wo: Fun, isn't it? All we have to do as younger adults is slow down enough to let it happen. I see it as a matter of respect. Plus, it's fun!

Jenny: I dunno. Can I? I'll have to look into it.

Most of the old men in that mall seem to be Italian. In my experience (not enormous, I grant you), the Italians staunchly approve of "breeding", and love the little ones!

MamacitaTina: Isn't it fun? I usually stop and chat with them - I see it as a sign of respect. (Besides being just plain fun for all!) I don't like the way the elderly are so often marginalized. We younger adults are always so busy-busy-busy, and I've never seen huge virtue in busy merely for the sake of busy-ness. The youngest adults who mock the elderly because they move more slowly disgust me: since when is mere speed a virtue? (oooo...a rant! at 8 in the morning...)

1/12/2007 08:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home