Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Rock On!

"You need to go potty? Yay, let's go potty!" Justin is my grand-nephew (I think that's it) - my sister's grandchild. He's interested in and reasonably co-operative with the potty venture, but what he lacks is Staying Power. "Potty!" he'll yodel, and plonk his butt down. Six wriggly seconds later, he's up again. There's no convincing him that he needs to sit still and reeelaaaax in order for anything to happen. He sits, he pops up, he looks in. "No in potty!" "Well, no, hon. You have to wait a little. You have to give it time to come out." My sister is encouraging and patient. He sits, he pops up, he looks in. She's encouraging and patient and completely ineffective. What to do? "Let's read a book, Justy." "Okay!" Justy hauls up his britches and heads for the couch. What? You want me to sit there and read? Everyone knows you read while snuggled on the couch or in bed. You do NOT read with your bare butt hanging over a hole! My sister bemoans this over the phone. "There's no point in using candies. It'll take him three seconds to eat a Smartie, and then he'll be up again. If he knows there's a Smartie possibility, he can't sit still, so I can't even use it to brib - er, motivate." Two days later, Justin's teenage aunt, who had received an iPod for Christmas, comes giggling into the kitchen. "Look, mom!" she giggles. "Justin likes to listen to my music!" Sure enough, there's the little man head bopping, hands clapping to music only he can hear. Head bopping, hands clapping, and... sitting down. Gramma pops across the kitchen, pops out an ear bud. "You listening to music, baby?" "Yeah! Singin'!" "You want to listen to more music?" "Yeah! Singin'!" "Well. Tell you what. Whenever you want to sit on the potty, you can listen to music!!" "So that's that." My sister chortles over the phone. "Now he'll sit for as long as it takes, as long as he can have the iPod. Rock on, Potty Boy!" Some days, parenting can be a breeze: you just have to keep your eyes open to the possibilities. ~~~~~~~~~~~~ © 2006, Mary P

14 Comments:

Blogger Jerri Ann said...

de-lurking to say...I loathe potty training!

1/09/2007 09:54:00 AM  
Blogger Mama of 2 said...

Thinking down the potty training avenue myself...Girlie Girlie is 19 months so I know it will be around the corner.

Glad they found something to work for him. It gives me an idea of my own since she loves music as well.

1/09/2007 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger Ms. Huis Herself said...

Ooooh! Good idea! Might have to try that one. Pumpkin doesn't mind sitting, but I get antsy reading to her or just visiting for so very long.

1/09/2007 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger bubandpie said...

This is the second time I've seen this advice this week! (Not in relation to potty training specifically - just the general sense that iPod + toddler = compliance.) Maybe that's just the justification I need to shell out for one of those babies...

1/09/2007 04:02:00 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

that's the coolest bribe ever!

1/09/2007 05:31:00 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Hubby got an iPod for Christmas. I will have to keep it in mind when I finally have enough courage to try and potty train Ian.

1/09/2007 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger Mama's Moon said...

Yay, Justy! Wish I'd had an iPod when we started potty-training. Heck, I don't even KNOW how to use one of those things!

1/10/2007 02:06:00 AM  
Blogger Lara said...

wait - doesn't everyone listen to the ipod while using the potty?

or am i the only one?

anyone?

1/10/2007 02:44:00 AM  
Blogger Lara said...

(okay, re-reading, that looked way too serious. i was kidding. i don't even own an ipod. but if i did...

no, still kidding.)

1/10/2007 02:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just noticed the paypal button, what are we making donations too? books! more buh's!
Jenny UK

1/10/2007 07:16:00 AM  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Jerri Ann: While it's not my favourite activity, I've done it enough that now... well, it doesn't entertain me all that much, but nor does it intimidate at all. Nope, now it mostly just bores me. Sad, but true...

Mama of 2: I never start until they're at least two, more often two and a half. Oops! Never say never: I had one child who was ready very early, and fully trained by 19 months. A boy, at that. It happens, but it's really, really unusual. (By 'fully trained', I mean can get themselves to a potty, produce, clean up, and proceed with their day without any adult intervention at all. The adults may very well not even notice every time it happens.)

Ms Huis: I simply cannot sit with one child for minutes on end, not with three or four others charging about. Anything I can give them to help them while away the time is welcome!

Bubandpie: Meh. Fisher-Price has a perfectly lovely little tape recorder. Well, they had one. (Are they now producing CD players, perchance?) Much more durable, and much less expensive - and, to the tot, every bit as cool!

Kittenpie: My sister and her daughter sure think so! Justin just likes the music. Heh.

MamacitaTina: I tend to wait with boys - 2.5 to 3 years before I start, unless, of course, the child is demanding to try!! Then it tends to be over and done in less than a month. Start sooner, it takes longer.

Mama'sMoon: I am almost embarrassed to admit that there are three iPods and an Archos in this house! Like you, I do not know how to use any of them. And I simply will NOT bring a fifth MP-3 player into the house - that would be moving much to far into the realms of offensive aquisitiveness. Yeesh.

Lara: I don't know about you, but (naming no names) there are people in this house - long past the potty-training stage - who wear their iPods everywhere...

Jenny: Good writing and good advice. When and if you see it! ;-)

1/10/2007 09:32:00 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

That is hilarious. What a great idea, though!

1/10/2007 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger LoryKC said...

We have found the Gameboy to be just as miraculous! ;)

1/11/2007 02:14:00 PM  
Blogger Jenorama said...

That is genius. Genius!

1/12/2007 06:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home